November 01, 2004

Shoes

How is it as parents of more than one child that we just move from sport to sport or activity to activity? Let's talk shoes for a minute. Football shoes, wrestling shoes, cross-country shoes, track shoes, basketball shoes...the list goes on and on and on. Try having a boy or two and needing a pair of shoes for a special occasion. We have to know when we buy special occasion shoes that it's a one time purchase. Only to be worn once then two months down the road the shoes are usually too small to be worn again. Now, as a Mother of boys, I know why you see boys wearing tennis shoes with a suit during special events. I often thought it was so tacky as I was growing up. Some teenage boy who looks nice but then he wears his size 12 Nikes.

Now, the shoes on the other foot. I actually did it...nice decent clothes, slacks, tie, dress shirt, the whole nine yards. Do you think I was going to fork out a penny more for shoes that he would not be comfortable in, nor ever wear again. Heck no! There he was on his special day, all dressed up and a decent pair of Nikes...they were clean and did not have holes in them. There was no shame to my game. See, what you do is don't take any of the pictures down that low. Nobody will ever really remember that he had that nice black suit on with Nikes unless you take the pictures down that low. This is where we mess up as parents, don't take the pictures or the video down that low and nobody will ever know.

How did I get so off track. I know I wanted to say more than just this. I have to tie this all in somehow with the shoes. Shoes are important to us. We devote many hours of our lives, picking them out, trying them on and seeing if they fit. They always have to be the perfect shoe for whatever sport or event we need them for. Then, there is always that pair of shoes that's your favorite. The one pair that you just can't live without. I remember my very dear friend had a pair of shoes that she loved. She spent oodles of dollars getting them repaired once. I think it cost her more to have them repaired than she initially paid for them. It didn't matter, she wanted those shoes fixed just like new. Now, it seems shoes are so disposable. We don't acquire the attachments to shoes often times anymore.

You know at some point I have to again tie this all in. My question for you today is what shoes are you looking to buy? Sport shoes, dress shoes, cute shoes (reserved for only the young), comfortable shoes, work boots? Shoes are only temporary you know. No matter what you pay for them, they are still just shoes to worn once or thousands of times. They just get older, more worn or sit in a closet waiting to be worn again. So today my message is for those who bought a pair of special occasion shoes. You know the ones you wore once or only wear at Christmas time.

Life does not have to be like shoes. Maybe you made that commitment and cried out once. But, God does not serve your purpose anymore. You've put Him in your closet not to be touched any time soon. He's still there for you, you know He is. Maybe you don't know. Maybe you think all this Jesus stuff is just crap. I would classify you as the one who is still searching for that perfect pair of shoes. You know the ones that are almost what you want but not quite. Your life will be like that. You always shopping, hanging on to some new cause or drama you've got going on. I don't need to preach to you. I will leave you with only one challenge. Don't believe my feelings or comments about religion or Christianity. I don't ask that anyone ever just take my word for anything. The next time you are sick or you don't want to go out but want to cuddle up with a good book try cuddling up with the Good Book. Give it a read. Read the entire thing from the first book to the last.

Maybe it will be a shoe that fits...or the lost shoe you've been searching for.

No comments: