February 12, 2008

How Much Is My Black Image Worth

I desperately try to help others understand that blackness as a commodity is no longer politically correct. I got a preview of a publication and once again I was shocked by the images I saw. There are roughly 100 female black students on campus out of almost 19,000 students. We make up such a small portion of the student population. Additionally, the total population of black students (I use the word black because in the computer system there is no distinction between black or Africans etc. We are all lumped into a single category of black)is roughly 250 students.

I am again upset that another Black face has been chosen to represent 'diverse' Boise State. The thing that goes beyond simple annoyance is the fact that the photo choice is of a young lady (my apology in advance) is tore up from the floor up. Hair baby... her hair is tore up. I find it amusing that for an entity that is hard pressed to show how diverse it is does not really care or understand our culture. Who, seriously what self respecting sista wants to have a photograph of herself on a publication that will be around for six months with her hair tow up? Our culture dictates many nuances and one of which is you don't want to look like a dark spot in photographs and you definitely don't want 19,000 or more people seeing you with a very bad hair day. It's just not right.

I had a conversation with the powers that be over the issue of Black images on publications. Has... will anyone hear me? I am fired up mad that this issue of image and the perpetuation of race unfriendly tactics and strategies continue. The reason it continues is because our dark hues are easier to find when scrolling through thousands of images. This means that people are not looking at the pictures beyond the superficial. This means we are the easiest targets. This means there is no value to what we represent beyond our Black faces.

I was so upset about this that I felt wounded. You know what I mean, my spirit was crushed, I pained on the inside that this institution that prides itself on its diverse nature does not value me as a person. Does not value anything about me beyond the external. How interesting is it that a program that wants to be inclusive, isolates people in a way that further isolates the very people it hopes to attract and embrace. What backwards, bad word bad word kind of society are they hoping to build? I know that I am not alone in my assessment. I wish I could snap my fingers and people would hear my voice. What do I do?

I said enough to my boss and I hope he quietly speaks to the powers that be. I understand in a way that some people may think that me getting all torked about ole girls hair being tore up is superficial etc but we need to admit and embrace our own culture. So what... all self respecting sistas wanna look good. We pride ourselves on it and it isn't a bad thing to be cognizant of how we look.

Peace

No comments: