January 19, 2005

Email to Junior High Principal, Vice-Principal, 8th Grade Counselor and Teacher

Here is a copy of the email I sent to the school. It's all pretty easy to read. I just encourage everyone to always stand up for your children no matter what age they are.


Hello,
For those who do not know me, I am Dawn E Pooh and my student is Son of Dawn E Pooh. Here’s a brief rundown of the situation. I just so happen to be doing some research for a course I am taking and the subject matter is African American Mathematicians.

Son of Dawn E Pooh had a little situation in class with Mr. Junior High Teacher yesterday and was told, (paraphrasing of course), "there are no black mathematicians." Initially, I was shocked that Mr. Junior High Teacher would say such a thing. The remark itself is factually inaccurate. Then the real me that’s lived in Idaho for 12 years kicked in and I chalked the statement into a mental category that I call, "figures." "Figures," simply means that it figures that my son would get an answer like that because we live in Idaho and unfortunately, characteristically, diversity takes a back burner in this state often times. I want you all to know that I hold absolutely nothing against Mr. Junior High Teacher because Son of Dawn E Pooh adores mathematics and Mr. Junior High Teacher as well by nature of the subject that he teaches.

But why the email then? I want to bring this to your attention so that you can evaluate what kind of harm offhand remarks can bring in education. I know that my son has ALWAYS enjoyed mathematics. Part of the original reason that I wanted to do research on the subject was to show him that his love for mathematics is not unattainable if he chooses to seriously pursue the subject. My husband and I are rare cases. Not all parents of color in Idaho have the same access to higher education and/or opportunity that we do.

This presents the obvious problem of the offhand remark that was made by Mr. Junior High Teacher. Such a comment could have been devastating to a child whose parents do not constantly highlight the accomplishments of people of color as a household practice.

What are we going to do about this as a group? My husband and I of course are going to continue to pump as much information into our kids that we can about their heritage and the richness that diversity brings to all communities. For you, "the professional educators," I don’t know what you are going to do about it but take a word of advise from me…

Remember that you hold a special authority and responsibility to a child who believes so much of what you teach them in your classrooms. This is a huge responsibility that makes you accountable to that child to not make potentially devastating and factually inaccurate remarks when dealing specifically with race and ethnicity.

My very last request is that you do not mention this email to Son of Dawn E Pooh. Son of Dawn E Pooh asked for some of my African American Mathematician information so that he can confront Mr. Junior High Teacher on his own. I want you to allow him to have that opportunity to stand up without fear as long as he is respectful about it of course and is not disruptive to the rest of the class.

Respectfully,
Dawn E Pooh

No comments: